I am sick of having a house with the early depression look, ugly
second hand furniture. I am sick of being looked upon as an
exaggerated fool for liking lovely things, for liking soft
colors, for wanting to touch soft wool, for wanting huge windows
in my house with wide, wide ledges which hold brightly colored
geraniums in the bright sunshine. You can have those when the
kids are gone, people tell me. Don't they realize I need those
things now, to soften the less gratifying aspects of parenthood?
Don't they understand that children too like beautiful things,
warmth in a house. I won't need those things later. I'll be
able to go out when I want, won't have to stay home to look after
children, change diapers, help with homeworkWhen the sun shines
through the windows, I feel it is a gift to all of us who inhabit
this house.
Previous
Next
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment